Saturday, March 19, 2016

Cheltenham Post-Mortem

I'm glad that's all over. It was a vintage festival with many highlights but it's so all-consuming that I need a break now. Back to the rugby. Yesterday's best race was the Gold Cup and Don Cossack won impressively. I suspect Willie Mullins needed the ground softer for Djakadam who came second. It's rare to see Mullins' impregnable amiability punctured but his disappointment showed in the interview afterwards. Don Cossack was only 11-4 when I backed him but I was especially delighted with this result for Brian Cooper his star-crossed jockey and for the doughty trainer Gordon Elliot, tieless in Gloucster. I had another winning day thanks to yet another Paul Nichols handicapper - Ibis Du Rheu won the 4.50 for me at 18-1. That gave me a handsome four figure (OK, just about four figures) profit for the four days. Sprinter Sacre's win was the highlight for me although I thought Altior was sensational in the Supreme Novices and I enjoyed Annie Power in the Champion Hurdle - even if she did beat my fancy My Tent Or Yours. Thistlecrack was also superb in the World Hurdle (again I was second) as was Vaoutour in the Ryanair. The good ground helped matters. To end on a sombre note we can't omit to mention the death in action of No More Heroes and Long Dog - the down side for Gordon Elliot and Willie Mullins.